Friday, March 19, 2010

Buen Trato, Cada Rato


Yesterday I went up to Chinandega, about 2 1/2 hours north, for the day. I went with an organization that I will be working with for the next 7 weeks. We visited a couple of secondary schools, 7-12th graders, to talk to them about domestic violence. We gave them a vaccination against abuse, the vaccination was a lollipop. The students faces were filled with relief, they thought we were actually going to give them a shot!

Along with the lolipop, we gave them a bookmark. The book mark had a white heart where the students would put thier fingerprint. This was thier pledge that they would not be a violent person and they would treat people with respect. We also gave them a bracelet.

The organization is called Buen Trato Cada Rato. They are working to prevent domestic violence before it becomes a huge problem. The Nehemiah Center has many programs that try and prevent epidemics and such before they become overwhelming. I think that is a good thing to do, instead of waiting to act until it becomes a big problem.

It was a long day and I wasn't feeling very good, but it was really cool to see what this organization actually does. This is one of the organizations that I will be writing for.

AND I'M VERY EXCITED BECAUSE I'M ON SPRING BREAK!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jo-Jo Hi guysI just spent 7 days in dunlap Tenn. It was B~E~A~U~T~I~F~U~L!!!!Hope your spring break is FUN & SAFE!So proud of you your amazing~Did you see the ultra sound?Dommestic abuse is no fun and is very serious I should know.With the power of God you can get thru many things if you are willing to put it in gods hands .just as Dave And I have.Enough about that have a blast .Your BLOG is awsome!Love ya,Auntie Jill<3:)