Saturday, April 24, 2010

Sandalias de Cebra

Leon is one of my favorite places in Nicaragua. The people are friendly, the streets are clean, the architecture is interesting and second-hand American clothing boutiques are everywhere. I was able to get about six interviews in two days and a new pair of Roxy flip flops. It was a nice change of pace and faces.

The picture on the left is Alma. She has been my translator and cultural bridger for my internship. My first project was to write a story on her to help increase her funding. She is a vibrant person and a lot of fun to work with.

In the middle photo, second from the left, is Lourdes. Lourdes runs the Buen Trato program(domestic violence program). The photo on the right is Rakel, she runs the HIV/AIDS program.

Alma, Lourdes, Rakel and I met with the leaders who are running these programs in their churches. We were able to hear about how their experiences were going, how the knowledge they are learning is changing their lives and the surrounding communities, what challenges they are facing and what they envision for the future.

I love being able to go into peoples homes and churches and see how God is moving in Nicaragua; because when you only walk down the streets and play at the beach, you miss out on the real heart of this place. They are a people of passion, eager to learn, and ready to sacrifice their desires for Christ's. They are a nation in the process of transformation and I feel blessed to be here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a gift you have at making people feel at ease. I hope that the work you are doing there does increase their funding. What an opportunity. Love you, Mom